Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Make your own!!


Ok this post goes out to all the mommies that are interested or already making their own baby food and if you have already discovered this awesome, but thought I would share. Lately I have been trying to make some of Grant's food to keep it whole and unprocessed as possible and it has been working well so far economically and healthfully! I do have to say that we do like the Earth's Best or Naturally Preferred canned brands best when we do canned food and they work great too but the Dietitian in me tought it might be fun to try and make some baby food!! Soooo, I have been meaning to post this easy way to cut, cook, and make butternut squash. Have you ever tryed cutting a butternut squash?? Well it's a great way to cut your finger off since they are so big and so hard. What I did was simple but I wrapped the whole butternut squash in aluminum foil and baked at 400 degrees for 1 hr. The result was a very tender/soft butternut squash that was easy to slice and scoop out the stringy insides. From there I just continued to scoop out the cooked squash, mashed really well or you could put in a food processor to make it more pureed, add a little water if needed and if you have babyfood jars you saved or small meal size containers they are easy to pop in the freezer for later. I have also done this with sweet potatos and it works great too. Hope this helps anybody that is tackling baby food. Happy baby food making!!!

2 comments:

April Kay said...

Jenny Beth, that picture of that HUGE squash makes me laugh so hard! That's a great idea! I need to get motivated to start doing that, but I'm spoiled rotten by just being able to reach into the "baby food" cabinet and grab a jar of ready-made squash!!

Claire said...

Thanks for the tip! I've only made sweet potato so far. I froze mine in mini-muffin tins, then popped them out and put them into a freezer baggie. You can do the same with ice cube trays-I just didn't have any at the time.

PS. Be careful with those knives! I know you wouldn't want to injure another finger!